Why Learn French?
Why Learn French?
This topic has been the recent focus of several prominent newspapers.
Below is a summary of all their findings:
1. For English speakers, French is the easiest language to learn. Many English words find their roots from the French (up to 45% of English words). French was also the official language of the English court for many centuries.
2. French and English are the only languages appearing on ALL continents with more than 270 million people speaking French worldwide. The OIF, an international organisation of French-speaking countries, comprises 80 member States and governments.
3. French is still the main 2nd language taught in Europe in school.
4. Half of Africa speaks French and Africa is becoming an increasing focus of global trade and international relations.
5. French and English are the main official and working languages of most international organizations: United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross and international courts. French is the language of the three cities where the EU institutions are headquartered: Strasbourg, Brussels and Luxembourg.
6. French and English are the source of the major world law systems: the civil law tradition (French) and the common law tradition (English).
7. France is a key economic partner as the world’s fifth biggest economy and third-ranking destination for foreign investment.
8. French is the language of culture. From international language of cooking, fashion, theatre, the visual arts, dance and architecture to understanding modern Russia and China.
9. French is the language of love and reason. learning French is the pleasure of learning a beautiful, rich, melodious language, often called the language of love. French is also an analytical language that structures thought and develops critical thinking, which is a valuable skill for discussions and negotiations
7 REASONS YOU SHOULD TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO SPEAK FRENCH – Business Insider, Feb 2014
5 REASONS WHY YOUR KIDS SHOULD LEARN FRENCH! – Huffington Post, Sept 2015
10 GOOD REASONS FOR LEARNING FRENCH– France Diplomatie
FRENCH: THE 5th LANGUAGE – France Diplomatie
LA FRANCOPHONIE EN CHIFFRES – Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie